That's How We Roll

I spoke too soon after being in such a good mood the other day; by mid afternoon, I'd hit the wall and gone into a bit of a slump. As soon as the boy got home from work, he made me a cup of tea and we had a bit of a chat - and we somehow got onto the subject of children.

I just have this feeling that if and when I fall pregnant one day, I'll have a boy. I have no idea why and I can't really explain it, but that's what I see happening. And because of that? I really want my first child to be a girl. Jase (being a typical male) talked about how he wanted a boy to take along to rugby games and to do manly-man stuff with, and our conversation drifted off topic from there. We started comparing our own childhoods and what we were like as kids. I always like to rub his nose in the fact that I started kindergarten when I was four and a half years old, while he started it at 5.5 - therefore concluding that I am, in fact, much smarter than he is.*

You see, Jase and I are complete opposites when it comes to brains. He's logical, I'm emotional. He's good with techy stuff, I blow things up just by looking at them. He's Maths and I'm English. We enjoyed having a bit of a banter on who of the two of us is the smarter cookie, and which of our smarts are better in the real world. I don't even know how we get on to these subjects, I really don't. We're far too random for our own good.

But here's the scenario you need to picture: imagine you were on a desert island, and the only thing on that island were coconuts. But in order to get to the coconuts, you needed to solve a stack of mathematical equations. Who would win -  me with my emotional smarts? (aka 'Oh no! We're doomed! I can't live on coconuts forever! Whatever happened to Oscar? I miss the internet!' -dramatic weeping-) or Jason with his logical smarts? ('Let's just solve the damn puzzle and eat the coconuts!' -maths, maths, nerd, nerd.)

As you can imagine, the boy came up with that scenario, and of course, his smarts would reign supreme. But then, that was just his scenario - so I came up with my own.

Imagine you are stranded on the same desert island (and yes, you are still surrounded by coconuts) and all of a sudden, a ship appeared in the distance. The captain gets on his loudspeaker and tells you that he can help get you off the island, but only if you write him an extraordinary essay about coconuts and convince him to be a good samaritan. WHO WOULD WIN NOW JASON??? (Ahem. I would. I write good essays.)
And that, my friends, is why I'm awesome and have deemed myself the winner. (Aly - 1, Jase - 0)

How alike are you and your partner? And if you're single, would you look for an opposite?

*This post is very tongue in cheek. He's a very smart cookie and I lack common sense in the most obvious of ways, but combined, we'd figure out a way to get off the damn island. Or at least we'd grow old together smelling like coconuts and with a nice tropical tan, and that's a perk, right?


16 Comments • Labels: ,  

16 comments:

Jess said...

I am still cracking up over "Whatever happened to Oscar? I miss the internet!' -dramatic weeping." Bahaha.

As far as how alike we are... I'm more common sense smart and he's more puzzle smart. Also I'm more optimistic than he is. But we balance out nicely.

Mrs. Higrens said...

We're not very alike at all - my husband is the logical one, I am the emotional one. Though sometimes I surprise my husband with my grasp of logic on things he is atypically not approaching logically. It's very odd when we switch roles like that, but it seems to help us to keep working together.

Britt said...

T is logical, I'm emotional. We make a good team and help to balance each other out I think. It makes for interesting times anyways :)

dayna said...

You guys are too cute!

Fuzzy Cert said...

You know... My grandmother delightfully dumped some of the body shop stuff we bought her for mothers day a few years ago into my bathroom... I don't know when she did it, but they appeared. I thought mum had done it so I started using them. And one was the coconut body butter, and despite the body butter being delightfully moisturising in all the right ways, it stinks. SO I wouldn't care for coconuts and I'd go hunting for bananas or something instead.
Or I'd build a giant thing like in Madagascar to set on fire to alert a passing ship.

I don't know what kind of thinker that makes me.

I would like a much more even match in my next partner...

Becky said...

Haha, you crack me up! My husband and I are very similar - I was an English major in college and while he's not really a math person (I unfortunately do all our budgeting), he's an artist so he sees things totally different than I do.

And I would rock that coconut essay.

Emily Jane said...

LOL! I am definitely the emotional one and he is way more even-keeled, and it goes for goods and bads - I get OVER exciting and start clapping and he'll nod and smile, or if it's something bad I'll BAWL while he's logically figuring things out staying calm the whole time. But I think we complement each other that way. I'm also really creative and into literature and art, where he's into science and math type things - but we both appreciate each other's strengths :)

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

My hubby and I are kinda different but kinda alike. I'm more serious minded than he is and he's very laid back. However, we both act like children around each other and we love a lot of the same things. I think it's striking a balance that makes two people work, ya know?

P said...

Hmmm, this is a good question. Being single, it's something i find difficult to answer. I guess I don't want someone TOO like me, for example, my last few exes were "creatives" (a musician followed by an actor/director - no one famous unfortunately!) and because I see myself as quite creative, I don't think we meshed all that well. So I think now I don't really mind whether they are like me or not, as long as there's a spark and, most importantly of all, we share the same sense of humour. Because if we don't find each other funny then . . . there's not really much point!

Megan said...

My husband is definitely one of the smartest people I know. He has common sense, and he knows a little bit about EVERYTHING. He's a very deep thinker as well. I'm more emotional, but I'm also more responsible in my thinking.

I think it's always nice to be slightly opposite, that way you fill in where the other lacks. It's a nice balance.

Anonymous said...

those kinds of conversations are the best though! you know you've found your person when you end up talking about pointless stuff like that :)

Melospiza said...

After almost twenty years with my husband (yikes), I've noticed that not only were we rather complimentary to begin with, we have become even MORE complimentary. Thus, I find myself deliberately being the voice of "let's not get too worked up about this" even when maybe a small part of me wants to go "OMG! FREAKOUT time!"

I we were stuck on that desert island, for example, my husband would procede to freak out, and also might storm around for a while getting mad at the ones who were responsible for getting us stuck on the island; I would get him to calm down; I'd talk reasonably about problems that needed to be solved, and how really, we could solve them--and then Mike, calmed down, would go ahead and solve the problems, build the raft, etc. While I felt hot and thirsty and sorry for myself.

Melospiza said...

CompLEmentary. Complementary. Duh. GOD.

Julie Q said...

ha! We sound a lot alike. my hubby is the brains of the family but I am the one who has no problem talking to anyone (who will listen) so that seems to be an even balance :)

Anonymous said...

The husband and I are dumb in different ways. I'm the emotional one and he grounds me. I get stressed and he stays calm. It works. We both hate math though so it Jason's scenario we'd be screwed :)

Non Sequitur Chica said...

My husband and I are the same way- he would solve the math problem to get us off the island, while I would write a persuasive argument. That just means that we both have strengths!





All content (C) Breathe Gently 2006-2023
Blog Design by Splendid Sparrow