Three Sixty Five

I've been looking forward to writing this post for such a long time; so much so that I've been compulsively checking the date on my laptop for the past few weeks. As of today, I can finally spit it out.

Today begins our 365 day wedding countdown!
Yes, this time in twelve months, Jason and I will be married in our beautiful church and I honestly couldn't be more excited about it. I can't believe it will all be happening this time next year...
It might seem a trifle silly to be so enthusiastic about hitting this milestone since it's still a year away, but you have to remember - we're doing everything the long way. We got engaged last August. By the time next June comes around, we'll be at almost a two-year long engagement. And even before then, we've been together since 2002. This day has been a long time coming. In the grand scheme of things, a year is nothing for us. And also? I'm far more happy than I should be to be rid of the somewhat condescending 'You have over a year to go!' status every time I log in to The Knot. Not anymore, Knot. NOW TELL ME IN MONTHS. 
In truth, long engagements are trickier than they sound. When you get engaged, you tend to automatically start thinking ahead to the wedding itself. We've had a lot longer to process everything and enjoy being the same old us (now with added bling!) with the future ahead of us to look forward to. But, as always, there comes a point where the future seems TOO far away and then the wait simply becomes frustrating. Booking the venue was a big thing for me because we had that date secured - but even still, I've been finding myself itching to do something more.
But now even with our official year barrier broken, there's not a great deal I can do. The crafty DIY bits and pieces that I'd love to tackle aren't really things I can do here - for starters, I don't have the resources and as well as that? We're going to be packing up and moving a thousand miles away in a few short months, and we simply don't have space to lug random wedding crafts around with us. (I'm already wondering just how much excess baggage is going to cost to get all of our stuff back home. Gulp.)
So for now I'll sit on my hands for a little while and do what I can from here - and make myself a nice little 'hit list' of things I want to do the minute we move back to Australia and I have the time. And I'll keep on counting down. 
Three sixty five... squee!


12 Comments • Labels: ,  

12 comments:

Operation Pink Herring said...

Now that you have less than a year to go, The Knot will start throwing "you have 579 ovedue tasks!" in your face every time you log in. Sigh.

Britt said...

Woohoo!! It's going to go so fast. This year being engaged has just flown by for me. So cliche, I know.

Go hang out at the weddingbee.com forums. They're so much nicer than the knot folk. :)

Jess said...

Yay! Happy wedding pre-versary!

Erin said...

Yay! How exciting!

We had a two year engagement, and it was nice when we hit the 365 mark and could actually plan for real!

LINUX FONT said...

congrats for both of you ^^!
I hope you gain success all the time.
happily ever after 0_0

Fuzzy Cert said...

I'm going to help! YAY!

Becky said...

Yay!!! This is definitely a milestone! My husband and I had a 18-month engagement and when we got to a year out it was like then things could really begin! So excited for you!!

Emily Jane said...

Yay!! I love the countdown :) We just crossed the 200 day mark a few weeks ago so that was a big one :) Happy -1 year anniversary!!

abbersnail said...

WOOOT!!! You know I completely understand this! My favorite part about crossing the year mark - I no longer have to say "May 28, TWENTY-ELEVEN." It sounds so simple, but it's almost like I'm permitted to start planning now!

Pretzel Thief said...

Woo hoo! You'll do great, I'm sure. :)))

My/our wedding is but five months away and earlier today I had a mini-freakout, finances-wise. Even though we're having a small wedding (75 peeps) it seems like everything costs so friggin' much, and...gaaaaaarrrrrrhhhh!

I mean, yes, we've taken care of most of the big things, it's just...

And that's the thing: I've been so mellow about it all up to this point, so I shouldn't start freaking out now about how much more we have to pay.

So I won't. :D

Farmers Wifey said...

Wow how exciting..enjoy the countdown..

Anonymous said...

Time really does go by so fast! I'm so excited for you! It's going to be a great year!





All content (C) Breathe Gently 2006-2023
Blog Design by Splendid Sparrow